Monday, August 13, 2012

Red Velvet Funnel Cake

Saturday was the day I had been waiting for since the end of August last year. Ty and I went to the Indiana State Fair! Ty had never been, so I was appointed Captain of the day. I'm obsessed with mushrooms, especially fried ones, so our first stop was the find one of the two trucks that sold them. Well..Captain Cate turned the wrong way, and what was meant to be a 2 minute walk turned into a 20 minute walk. Oops. We found the fried veggie truck, and got our mushrooms. I totally would have been happy with just that, but Ty was still hungry.

We shared a lamb burger and some sweet tea, then walked around looking at the cows and such until we saw someone with a red velvet funnel cake. We looked at each other and Ty said "we have GOT to get that!" After some searching, we found the truck that sold them, and got in line. Now, we were watching the cashier, and she would take the order, take the money, then the customers would wait for their cake to be done. When our turn came, we ordered, was told it would be a few minutes, and then she moved on to the people behind us. Ty and I looked at each other and shrugged, figuring she would ask for our $7 when we got our cake. A few minutes later, she handed us our cake and turned away to help someone else. We stood there for a few minutes, she turned back and said "careful, it's really hot. Enjoy!" We looked at each other, at our cake, at each other...then I asked Ty if he had paid. He said no, and asked me the same thing. We stood there for a few more seconds, then started to s-l-o-w-l-y walk away. No one came running after us, so...we ate it. I felt really guilty at first, but my craving took over and I sent up a quick thanks to God for my free treat. It was delicious.


We also had some marinated pork on a stick and some fried Oreos, but the funnel cake "took the cake."

One of my favorite parts of the fair is the international building. They showcase a different county each year, and this year was Italy. We got to see a full size gondola, sample Italian food, and there was even an Indycar! I am obsessed with all things Indycar since I work for one of the teams, so I was surprised and delighted to see one there. I totally forgot that the chassis we are using, the DW12, is a Dallara chassis, and the Dallara's are from Italy. It was so cool to see the special paint scheme on the car for the Fair and the Speedway Fire Department.


The fair was really fun, but I was excited to get back home to be with this guy:
He's getting SO big! 8 months and 85 lbs...

How was your weekend? Did you go to your state's fair this summer?

Spunkily yours,

Cate


No comments:

Post a Comment